Communications and Development Director Job Announcement
Every Body Texas seeks a Communications Director to develop and lead our communications strategy which seeks to engage Every Body Texas’s multiple audiences, including the public, in our efforts to increase access to sexual and reproductive healthcare across Texas.
As part of our 2020-2024 Strategic Plan, Every Body Texas identified a goal of becoming a thought leader and expert in the field of sexual and reproductive healthcare. In developing our communications strategy, we set out to center the voices, needs, and experiences of the providers who deliver sexual and reproductive healthcare services through Title X and other publicly funded healthcare programs—along with the clients and communities they serve.
The Communications and Development Director will have the unique opportunity to build on our established brand and set a vision for the future. The ideal candidate is creative, a strong writer, a community builder, possesses a working understanding of the Texas political landscape, and is committed to creating a world where all people can access the sexual and reproductive healthcare services they want and need.
The Communications Director works in collaboration with the Chief Executive Officer, Board of Directors, communications staff, and other Every Body Texas staff to accomplish the goals of the organization.
Who We Are
At Every Body Texas, we work to ensure that every person in Texas can access safe, unbiased, high-quality sexual and reproductive healthcare by funding and training healthcare providers in a way that increases access for clients.
As the statewide Title X grantee for Texas, we distribute nearly $13.5M in federal funding each year to over 150 clinics across the state—funding that is critical to ensuring that clinics stay open and deliver much needed sexual and reproductive healthcare to 180,000 people in Texas every year.
We also deliver training and technical assistance to providers and conduct policy, advocacy, and research activities and special projects that promote increased access to care.
We strive to operate from a place of humility and inclusion, keeping six values central to our work.
- Dignity: Each person has the right to make their own healthcare decisions.
- Access: There should be no barriers between people and the healthcare they want and need.
- Facts: When provided with complete, accurate information, people can make the best healthcare decisions for themselves.
- Equity: Each of us deserves high-quality sexual and reproductive healthcare, regardless of our identity, income, or circumstances.
- Innovation: There is always a better way.
- Quality of Care: Clients deserve the best care and providers deserve the best support.
What You'll Do
You will be developing and implementing a long-term strategic communications plan, as well as short-term campaigns designed to engage the public in our work to increase access to sexual and reproductive healthcare. You will also work to promote the organization’s visibility, overseeing a wide range of communications efforts consistent with our brand. Specifically, your work will center on:
- Developing and reviewing communications and media materials, including but not limited to web content, brochures, annual reports, fact sheets, advocacy and fundraising emails, newsletters, press releases, media pitches, op-eds, toolkits, trainings, and other publications.
- Ensuring style, voice, and brand consistency across all content and offering training and technical support to build board and internal staff capacity to successfully adopt branding and messaging standards.
- In collaboration with the CEO and the Policy Director, engaging with our national associations and state coalition partners to execute coordinated public education and advocacy efforts, including cross-platform social media campaigns.
- Responding rapidly to crisis communications situations impacting Every Body Texas and our Title X provider network.
- Ensuring internal and external stakeholders have the information needed to engage in communications campaigns.
- In collaboration with the CEO and the Policy Director, building strong relationships with media contacts in support of the organization’s earned media strategy.
- Identifying and hiring staff, and managing consultants and relationships with third-party vendors, needed to support increased communications initiatives.
- Respond rapidly to sensitive and/or high visibility events that implicate our work and/or Every Body Texas as an organization with strategic crisis communications.
Who You Are + Keys to Success
To be successful in this job, you possess the following qualities:
- Excellent communications skills, which include the ability to distill and communicate complex information for a variety of audiences and to build and maintain relationships with media.
- Curiosity and a willingness to try new strategies and fail. This is a new priority area for our organization and we understand that mistakes are required to learn what works best.
- Attention to detail and an ability to produce high-quality work on a deadline.
- Experience working in or deep familiarity with the sexual and reproductive health, reproductive rights, or reproductive justice fields.
- An understanding of abortion as a fundamental part of sexual and reproductive healthcare.
- Guided by principles of reproductive justice and seek to actualize them through your work.
- Committed to ensuring that every person in Texas has access to safe, unbiased, and high-quality sexual and reproductive healthcare.
- Self-motivated, resourceful, creative, and able to work without significant day-to-day supervision.
- Open to giving and receiving feedback and committed to practicing both regularly.
In addition to these core qualities, you are someone who can effectively:
- Manage creative, multi-faceted communications strategies from ideation to evaluation.
- Build trust with internal and external stakeholders integral to the success of the organization’s communication and development efforts.
- Work in a fast-paced environment, offering clear, simple messages in the face of ambiguity and complexity.
- Distribute leadership and share the work. No one person can accomplish the big goals we plan to achieve.
- Enjoy collaboration and be a part of a dynamic, highly productive, and integrated team; maintain flexibility and effectively manage ambiguity in a responsive work environment.
- Operate from an understanding that people exist at various intersections of their identities and how those form their engagement in and access to sexual and reproductive health services.
- Show concern for people and the communities we serve, have a positive attitude, and practice humility and open-mindedness.
This position is remote in Texas and requires mandatory in-person attendance at meetings held once a quarter at the Austin, Texas office or designated Austin, Texas location. The salary for this position ranges from $90,000 to $115,000, with an exact salary depending on work experience.
Every Body Texas is proud to offer a wide range of benefits to support employees and their families, including medical, dental, vision, life insurance, 401K, paid time off, holidays, and paid parental leave.
Every Body Texas is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity. We also provide reasonable accommodations as needed throughout the job application process.
If this seems like you, send a cover letter and resume to Sadie McHugh, email@example.com. Deadline to apply is October 1, 2023.
Sign Up for Email Updates
Join us as we work to bring high-quality sexual and reproductive healthcare to everybody in Texas.